As an Independent Public School, Harrisdale Primary’s School Board has a strategic role of setting the long-term direction for the school and maintains oversight (not management) of the School Business Plan.
The School Board:
- contributes to the School Delivery and Performance Agreement and the Business Plan;
- endorses and reviews the annual budget; reviews the performance of the school;
- assists with Principal selection when a vacancy arises; approves arrangements for sponsorship or advertising;
- liaises with other committees within the school;
- and holds one open meeting each year to report to the school community.
The School Board does not:
- run the day to day operations of the school;
- discuss individual issues relating to teachers, staff or parents;
- represent specific interest groups, or permit special interest to dominate meetings;
- intervene in the educational instruction of students; nor
- performance manage the principal or any other staff member.
It is not about running the school – that is the job of the Principal – but rather, providing additional expertise to help the school achieve the best outcomes for students. The role of the School Council (board) is outlined in the Education Act 1999.
The Harrisdale Primary School Board consists of 11 members that each bring experience as parents, educators and/or community members. Parents are welcomed to contact Ben Foster, Board Chair